11 January 2018

The Practice of Gratitude

In my daily gratitude practice I have noticed how many times I compartmentalize my gratitude.

I remember the moments and people and circumstances I am grateful for, then later find myself complaining or in a cycle of negative thoughts. Isn't the goal of the discipline of gratitude supposed to seep into my regular routine and mindset? Otherwise - what's the point...

Today, I am most grateful for my job at PLNU.

I am grateful on so many levels: it provides me with a flexible lifestyle where I can show-up late or leave early if I have to; meet friends for lunch, or run errands mid-day. I am grateful that it is quiet and peaceful - that I can listen to music or a podcast or go for a walk when I want. I love that my wardrobe is not limited to "things that can get paint on them and things that can't" as well as "things that allow me to crawl on the floor and sit cross-legged" and that I can be as professional or non-professional as I want. I love that I work for a University that aligns well with my heart and mission, and that I get to speak with a diverse student population who are mostly second language learners. I am grateful that it is has provided me the opportunity to adjunct teach university students - something I look forward to maintaining into the future. I love the women I work with - they are encouraging and supportive and have become a second family to me in so many ways.

God opened a door for me to be here and He knew the exact department and people He wanted me to work with. I remember the first few months, resisting this job that didn't afford me summers off or holidays like I used to get while teaching. But I would never trade what I do now for those two months of freedom. This job has allowed me to create a rhythm to my day that feels most truly me, and it is the perfect job to be in now that baby boy is coming along. I hope I get to return to it... I really do. I know God will make it clear, He will open doors, and He will always be faithful to provide the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.