25 January 2018

Reflections and Realizations

Watching so many of my friends step into wifehood shortly after graduating college in 2008, I stood on the sidelines and marveled at their naturally given marriage skills. They seemed to have innate abilities to coupon-search, meal-plan, and house-clean that I simply did not possess. They knew how to book adult vacations at resorts with rental cars and go on couples getaways. Meanwhile, I was living at home, substitute teaching at the high school I attended, and having daily identity crises in a spiral of depression answering to the question: “What do I do with my life?!” I felt worlds away from my friends who so effortlessly slipped into the newlywed life. I daydreamed about traveling the world and learning languages and hiking across Spain and perhaps writing a book… I had no idea what it meant to commit life to one other human forever. I lacked the confidence that I could ever be what I considered “wife-material.” How did they seem to possess all these inherent skills that I did not?!

10 years later, it has been with pregnancy that I sense this familiar feeling beginning to surface. Most of my friends – the ones who got married first – now have 2 or more children. I have watched as they transition into the world of motherhood –  Mom’s Groups and book clubs and playdates- they know every sleep training method in the book, every “must-have baby gear item,” and the best bottle to mimic the actual breast. They recite stages of development and know the exact consistency of food to give a child at each age. They seem to possess knowledge and qualities of being a mother that I don’t. I look to them and think – will I ever be as informed or skilled as these Moms who carry snacks at all times, diapers on demand, and back-up bottles just in case?! – These Moms who manual pump while away at work balancing job and baby and husband and life – the ones who have both their children in a routine that allows them a full night’s sleep (or at least a nap)?!

When I got married, I realized that the qualities I thought I lacked, I actually had rooted deep within me. For most of my 20’s, I compared myself to other wives, thinking I would never be Good Enough or Skilled Enough or simply… Enough for anyone. Now, almost a year into marriage, I see that the deepest desires of my heart were fulfilled in marriage – so much so that it naturally pours out into life with Benjamin. It’s not that on February 18th I suddenly knew how to do everything wife-related (or at least the “wife role” that I create in my head) – but it’s more realizing a calling I didn’t previously understand existed. It’s the feeling in the morning and at night of “I was made for this” – I was truly made to be Ben’s wife. Serving and loving and knowing him comes more naturally than I expected; being his wife is not an utterly foreign concept requiring years of study; it is a lifelong dream that I stepped into because it is the heart of who I am.


I want to remember this with motherhood. I can examine and learn and observe and try right now – I can be afraid of the unknowns and have all the questions. Sure, I have no idea what to do when my baby cries and cries – is he hungry or tired or uncomfortable or…? OF COURSE I can’t know these things right now, which is why they feel so scary. But I trust that when the time comes, motherhood will feel right. It will be innate. I will learn baby’s cues and I will learn how to help him self-soothe and I will learn how to breastfeed and all the things I can’t know quite yet. It is the next calling for my life – the next most natural role to fulfill as Mom. And just like marriage, it will be an unforeseen gift that reflects who I am at my core and desires that have not yet been fulfilled. It is only in becoming a mother that I will come to understand this side of myself. Not yet, but soon.

4 comments:

  1. What makes a mother a "good mother" or "good enough" or "skilled enough?" It's definitely not a rhetorical question, because I have no clue. I wouldn't even know where to start to answer the question. It's probably what my best professor ever would have called a "non-question," that is, a question that you can never tell when you have the answer. Let's go with this instead. You have an abundance of qualities and skills that will make you a "good mother": education, desire, self-reflection, kindness, self-discipline, a great partner, a loving family, and that's just the off-the-top-of-my head list. Babies are smarter than we are anyway, so try not to worry too much. Have fun! Play and laugh and sing with him or her. (Has there been an announcement about that yet?) I look forward to showing your baby the photo I have of the day I met you. Until then, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Uncle Mark. I totally agree with you - the worries are really unfounded. There is no such thing as being good enough or skilled enough... the key components really are to love and support the child, show them the beauty in this world, and take adventures with him. It will be so fun. And it's not about having the right skills! There hasn't been an "official" announcement (I guess only to my very select blog followers;)) But we will announce in March after we take some photos (/once I actually have a bump to show for my pregnancy haha). I can't wait for you to meet him!!! June 27th he is expected to arrive!

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha. A him. I thought I'd heard or seen something about a him. What fun!

      Delete
    3. Yes! It's a him! :) We can't wait to have a son!

      Delete

Lately.