28 April 2021

December 11, 2019: A Poem

 Poem for Today


My days get blurred

With wonderings of time with you

Caught up in naptime frustrations

Or whining annoyances

Breakdowns alongside your breakdowns

And the constant questions.

But the part of my heart

You cracked open

As only a child can do

That part

Is where I feel motherhood

In its magnitude

Hugging my leg 

with repeated “mama, mama”

Open mouth kisses 

through the railing at the park steps

Tiny “roar’s” escaping your mouth

In awe with the lions at the zoo

Snuggles in the morning 

With your arms wrapped around my neck

And your quiet breathing in my ear

This is where that part of me

That answered to “mother”

For the first time

Seventeen months ago

Wants to linger as long as possible

Close my eyes

And hold the moment frozen in time

I am your Mother

And amidst the challenge of the everyday

Lie hidden gems of the beauty

That comes with the title

Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.