25 January 2017

Remembrances of the Camino

Lately, I have recalled the journey of the ancient Camino route – the one through which much of my life the past 3 ½ years has been formed. The life I walk today is only because of the path I walked in Spain. With February 18th approaching closer and closer, I have not made time to give my ever-pending thesis the energy and thought I desire to devote. It feels like a trapped door through which I am planning my escape; a hidden secret brewing inside and waiting to rise to the surface free to take shape. Once one walks the Camino, it becomes so inherently a part of his or her perspective on life, it seems the themes consistently work and rework life itself - through decisions and circumstances and reactions and relationships.

As I prepare to be a wife, I can’t help but look back on that 26-year-old me with a 10lb backpack, the world in front of my eyes and the beauty absolutely astounding and crushing all at once. Life felt simple, it felt light, and it felt free. Possibilities loomed, opportunities presented, and risks were taken. When I think about the wedding, I carry this with me: this idea that it is not about the details or the “things”; it is not about the fluff and stuff; it is about the journey of life with Benjamin. It is about being with him, committing my life to him, and making a promise for forever.

As Ben and I reviewed the wedding liturgy over Facetime with my brother Michael, my dear youngest brother who will officiate our covenant, he reminded us that the tradition of marriage and the ceremony through which it happens is one that all may recognize and experience as sacred. A lifelong promise of commitment to another is one of the truest reflections of the Gospel; Jesus’s reconciliation and grace and commitment to pursue and love and never leave us. As we signed our lives to one another at the courthouse last Saturday, it almost felt too easy to be married. You mean anyone can do this?! No personality tests or compatibility questions or…. therapy involved?! Just a piece of paper with two names that becomes a legal document stating you’re married. If it’s that easy – why don’t we just leave the ceremonial pieces of marriage behind, skip the liturgy, and be married because the piece of paper says we are married?! Because the process and words and vows spoken at a wedding are a deeply engrained piece of cultures across the world; the recognition and participation of your most beloved people surrounding you – the I Do’s and the Yes’s and the pronouncement of being One – there is something in that process that feels right. And that – that moment – is the one I look towards. I have never made a lifetime promise before – and I will admit the idea of a Forever Yes used to be scary & vulnerable feeling – but somehow when I met Benjamin it didn’t feel so big or terrible sounding anymore. In fact - quite the opposite: the desire of my heart fulfilled and the deepest sense of joy awaiting a future with Ben for all that lies ahead.


Moving towards marriage, the Camino remains a part of me, ever nudging me to step-by-step walk the route to Santiago. It isn’t in the arrival that matters – it’s in the day-by-day time and choices and people - the new journey begins when we get there. The wedding itself is exciting because it is the mark of our beginning, the day we commemorate our promises alongside family and friends, and the party that we get to throw together with all our best people. That is what I look towards right now… and that is really the only thing that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.