10 January 2017

It Doesn't Have to be No

There seems to be a theme of 2017 trending to “quit everything” and “say no” and “walk away” – I think it is the mantra of the minimalist or a backlash from the generation of Yes. I’m reading Shauna Niequist’s new book Present Over Perfect – and despite the wordy chapters that spin in melodramatic circles, the only word I’m truly hearing is No. Is it because we are a generation of extremes – all the yes’s to all the no’s – or is it because we have dug ourselves in so far, made ourselves so busy, that to choose life for our souls leaves no other option but to say No…?

There are few things in life that have just happened upon me. It is usually either a string of small decisions that point me in a particular direction or the ways I fill increments of time throughout my day that add up to being my life. Where our culture misses the mark right now is in Responsibility. I want to own my actions, admit my mistakes, ask forgiveness for my shortcomings, and steer the direction of my life. I know it is God who ultimately provides and blesses me – and through all these things I want my heart to overflow with thankfulness and for my life to point others to Him.
I don’t think 2017 needs to be one of these ends of the spectrum – there is a midpoint between the Yes and the No. 

Looking at the life of Jesus, there is a place that requires sacrifice and selflessness – doing things I don’t necessarily want to do – stretching myself and investing in those places in life that “don’t bring me joy.” There is also a place for boundaries, for those soul-giving moments I just know my heart needs that occur through the No. Examining my day-to-day is probably the best place to start. They say it takes 30 days to build a habit, so why not start now?! I have begun reading my Kindle instead of reaching for my phone, praying in the AM before I turn to a screen, and putting pen to paper at night instead of scrolling the feeds. If I merely discipline myself to stop filling my margins of rest with mindless brain decay, I remember how to be present, meditative, and reflective on this journey. I want to grow into a more intentional human and continue to seek after the core of who I truly desire to be.


This year, like all years, is about establishing those rhythms of life that bring me more in sync with the Creator. Pausing by the ocean, watching a sunset, taking a bike ride through the park. It is initially what drew me to Ben – a partner who admires the same beauty that I do and seeks these times of day to worship the One who reveals Himself around us. I believe we draw this out of one another in the best of ways – and it is what makes our team so strong. In just shy of 40 days from the wedding, this weekend we made brunch, went for a bike ride, hung in community, ate pizza, ran some errands, and laid on the couch in our robes until 11am. We wrote thank-you’s and watched episodes of Sherlock and grilled burgers for dinner. At the end of the weekend, I realized I did absolutely nothing for the wedding. But in that space, we actually did everything for the wedding: Life with Benjamin. Genuine and gritty and silly life. The wedding is simply the day we get to proclaim our vows and demonstrate our new life together –in a way we have already begun and this is where we start. Seeking rhythms together, lifting eachother up, and chasing our dreams as a unit instead of individuals. I know it isn’t easy – we have well discovered that (thank you pre-marital counseling ;)) – but I’ll choose the messy and scary parts of committing my life to another before living a day without my Benjamin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.