13 February 2011

Survival Mode.


Roomies + tapas. Neighborhood walk. 
Used Bookstore exploration.
It's mid-Feb and very cold.
(minus the 40 degree heat wave we've had the past few days...)

Wrapped in my puffer, hands clenched in gloves, scarf and hat tied so tightly I can barely see... every.day... it's easy to feel like Blah. Frump. Ick.

So my motto has been "make it to March."

But then I realized - I don't want to live like that. Waiting for the next best thing. Waiting for a season to pass and time to be over. I want to enjoy now. I feel my life becoming this reel of surviving... I don't want to just barely survive, I want to enjoy. But is that possible in the dead of winter?

Winter means it's easy to stay inside, create routine, and maintain a life that lacks contact with any other human. But it's when you extend yourself beyond the "normal" and challenge your day to be mixed-up in a unique way that begins a perspective of delight instead of despair. I look for simple moments that bring me joy - anything to give me hope that the day-to-day doesn't have to be so completely effected by cold.

A special coffee I normally don't order, a new pilates studio, an interesting conversation with a stranger, wearing lipstick & perfume, cooking something special, exploring a new hobby, taking photos in snow, asking the local bar to play The Bachelor... ;) Whatever it takes for that day to feel balanced and healthy and peaceful and happy - even when it seems simple - creates meaning for me. When weather makes life seem gray and dull, we can choose to feel that way. Or, we can embrace a day that is filled with moments waiting to bring us joy.

Playing with these dearies = joy & refreshment.
I would love to know: What are the simple things you indulge in to survive winter? What brings celebration instead of dread to the longest, coldest months of the year? 

5 comments:

  1. PBR, Sufjan/(Welcome Wagon)/G Allen, midnight sledding, skype dates with siblings, hot chocolate, comforters, and under armour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just listening... real listening, is such a priceless art."
    thought of you. never stop writing, i love it so.

    i survive on:
    tea
    frank sinatra
    friendships
    faux fur
    boots
    snoods
    coffee shops
    taxis
    heat
    naps and hibernation
    wool socks

    celebrating our pretty city and beauty in frigid mornings, with lots of help from jesus

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving all of this. :)
    and agree to all of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sitting by a fireplace (or candle will do)and reading...w/a cup of hot tea

    paddle- helps you embrace the winter!

    waking up thinking: "this is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it"

    ReplyDelete

Lately.