22 February 2011

Gramps.



After years in sunny Cali, Gramps has moved back to Chi - (in the coldest darkest days of the winter, of course).

Though he can't always hear you and doesn't always remain in conversation, I know there's a soundtrack of life running through his head. A silent nostalgia. Thinking and remembering and feeling the conversation, through the unspoken words.

A few weeks ago, he shared a few stories of my Grandma Win, who passed away before I was born. As her living namesake, I will always feel a special connection to her... so these memories were especially endearing to me. He spoke about their dating times, their adventurous moments, their glimpses of perfect harmony in the world. The pictures slowly formed in my head as he pieced together this life from years ago - my grandpa as a young 20, exploring the world and falling in love.  The reality of these memories surfaced with each tear in his eye... Grandpa will always be connected to the life he once lived, no matter what it may look like now.

I have a real desire to do that someday.
To know you've lived the story, shared life, and truly embraced each season. Sometimes I fool myself thinking this is as good as it gets - 24 (1/2) and single and ongoing city excitement. But my gramps would say differently - it only gets better from here. I'll choose to believe it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Rebecca, thank you! Your "Gramps" looks well in that photo. I haven't made it down yet, so thanks for the updates, the photo, and most of all for visiting him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask gpa Dick about his favorite poem which I memorized years ago for him:
    "There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, there is a rapture on the lonely shore; there is society where none intrudes by the deep sea with music in its roar; I love not man the less but nature more; from these interview from which I steal all I may be or have been before; to mingle with the universe and feel what I can ne're express yet cannot all conceal."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. FYI, he had his hearing aids tuned up since then. He has been able to carry on conversations with a bunch of different people now.

    ReplyDelete

Lately.