27 February 2011

It's Been Good.


Something rare and interesting came over me this weekend: I wanted to watch a movie I didn't own.

So naturally (in my stuck-in-the-90's-brain...?), I think: rental at Blockbuster.

Motivated and inspired by my dedication to film, I walked in and immediately spotted my vid of choice. Case in hand, I marched to the counter and surprised by my swiftness, I carefully placed my treasure down at the checkout. Even though it's been a few years (6-ish?), I assuredly recited my phone number, convinced they still had my name on file - a quick look-up and I'd be on my way, yes? 
... Nope.


40 mins later: I'm the proud new owner of a Blockbuster card, a free month of online movies (???), free pre-watched DVD, free rental, and 4 movies for $20. The cause of such glory: the news I've obviously been out of touch with the past 6 months - and the glaring yellow Out of Business signs I only slightly read in the windows... the last and final shutdown of Blockbusters everywhere, and with such - my childhood.

I will sell this Collector's Item on Ebay for a lot of money someday. With or without Blockbuster's logo...
I felt comforted sharing this moment with my faithful Blockbuster checkout helper, Jerry, who clearly understood my grief. As I gave voice to each significant rental experience, Jerry's thoughtful concern via Blockbuster badge signaled I had a place of sharing there. He brought a sliver of hope to my situation, assuring me that at least I snuck in my last possible rental experience before it was lost and gone forever? It's true. I diligently recorded every detail in the vault of my memory, preparing to recite the ancient plight of a Renter to my children someday. Concluding our time together with a high-five, I was on my way with my prized new items and a new respect for the rental deadline.
Clearly excited about my new free purchases.
I guess you can never assume that what you had will always be there.  Before we know it, books are out of print and computers feel outdated.  My generation will be walking history of an era that traced the path of "going digital." - The generation that saw it through, adapted as it went, and fueled brain power for even further developments.

Oh Blockbuster, other people (Netflixers) might not miss you, but I will. 
Cheers to all the good times and thank you for allowing me one last successful visit.

3 comments:

  1. sweet sister, I know Spain was far away, and I'm glad you have caught up with the rest of America in the movie rental business....if only common grounds had a Redbox this might all have changed...

    love you sis, great post, your an excellent writer and I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is this think called iTunes that you can also rent movies from! In addition vudu & amazon lets you rent moves too. Welcome to 2011.

    http://www.vudu.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Video/b?ie=UTF8&node=16261631

    ReplyDelete
  3. no way.
    well this is why i have friends like you.
    to show me the ways of the century.

    ReplyDelete

Lately.