27 May 2010

Kisses.

Returned to my flat with a slobbery cheek today, because that's how it's done in Spain. Goodbyes were exchanged with 1 beso per nino, a mini fiesta, and sweet farewell gifts from teachers.

{Alicia's birthday card to Carlos. He's obviously impressed.}

As I walked out today with tears myself, I remembered those first few days... the anticipation with which I checked the Los Puentes website before leaving for Spain - picturing myself cropped into their excursion photos and school activities. Then arriving - seeing my own photo/name appear on their website, joining the teacher carpool, my first invitation to drinks out - those initial steps towards integrating into the school culture.

{Springtime flowers with some of my favorites. Shhhh - I don't have favorites...}

And how that was only the beginning. The year unfolded... I was thrown-up on, sneezed on, de-liced, run from, and trampled down. I lost my voice, I've yelled "make a circle" 100million times, and I've considered the legit outcome of throwing ninos out the window.

{St. Patrick's Day. They now associate English with the color green.}

But when I consider the year, I don't think about those moments. I remember the hugs, the endless love, the faces lighting up with learning. I hear my name shouted as I walk down the hall, 6 year-olds' phenomenal power to make me feel like a rockstar, arms around me and kisses on my cheeks. I remember glowing with smiles as I finished each day, laughing with myself on my way to the bus. Feeling purposeful, accomplished, and loved.

{I was put in charge of this holiday. There's the sign to prove it.}

For this reason, it's difficult for me to refer to what I do here as "work" (and not just b/c it's 16 hrs a week or b/c I sing and play games the majority of that time...) - it's because this school has been my family. A family of 15 teachers & 120 students.

{Making their mark.
...which ended everywhere.}

Though I feel ready & feel finished, it was sad to leave today because today I left a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.