28 September 2009

¿La Playa, Por Favor?

So today I hopped (read: lugged pounds of baggage) on a 4.5 hour train from Madrid to Santander... the northern coastal city I will be teaching near. The train ride was BEAUTIFUL - and felt a bit epic as we rode through green mountains overlooking the ocean, and under valleys along Spanish countryside. I already miss Madrid, but I am trying hard to embrace this new city.

Upon arrival, I immediately noticed that nobody speaks English here. Not even the basics (that you can get away with in larger cities.) Ahhhhh! I underestimated the level of difficulty of living in a country where you do not speak the language. All I want to do at this point is learn Spain´s Spanish... which is SO very different from any Spanish I have ever heard/attempted to speak. Ever. But, before I learn the language, I must find a flat. (Which becomes increasingly difficult when you don´t know the language...uhhh...).

After settling into my hostel, I examined the map to find what appeared to be many beaches. So I set out in search of one in Santander. Hours later, I apparently didn´t realize how far I had gone... b/c I hit the ´´Salida a Santander´´ sign, which was entirely counterproductive to what I was trying to achieve. And still no beach. I settled for a seaport. And might try not to walk again for awhile. And might go order a pitcher of sangria right.this.moment.

Tonight, a group of us Auxiliares are all meeting up for tapas/dinner. I haven´t met any of them yet; I have no idea what to expect. I am just hoping I can find them... and if all else fails, I plan to start speaking loudly in English.

And so my first moments in Santander go... time for a much needed siesta. Hasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.