05 August 2013

Before Santiago

On Wednesday morning, I will turn 27 as we walk into Santiago at sunrise to finish this journey of 780km, 30 days, 5 blisters, 1 lost phone, and countless cafes later. I´ve marveled at ancient churches, fallen down mudslides, chanted hymns with nuns, spoken multiple languages over dinners with strangers, crossed the desert, gazed at the stars, slept in remote Spanish churches, fiesta-ed until early morning, endured nights of snoring pilgrims, gotten lost in fields for hours, bathed under bridges, & shared wine in the street with locals... It started with anxious excitement and the joy of a new adventure, then I was hit with the pain of death and grief... I walked through solitude and loneliness in the meseta, then experienced the beauty of community and dear friendship, God felt so near and with me, then it was crying out to Him for help and trust and presence... it was Spanish romance and sparks, then a hole in my heart of goodbye... It has been one foot in front of the other, one step at a time, little by little in the process of what seemed like an impossible pilgrimage.. and now it´s arriving to the cathedral for mass in Santiago as we reach our final destination.

When it´s all finished, I will cry not because of the beauty of another Spanish city or the majesty of the cathedral... It´s not because the end is reached and all is accomplished. Tears will float from my eyes because of every moment of challenge & beauty God has taken me through the past 5 weeks as I trust Him for a bed each night, a sip of water during the day, a cool breeze across my face, and a friend to make the walk that much faster. When I feel the weight of making my own decisions and attempting to be in control, I remember that He has always provided for me when I trust Him to bring the very best. And after walking for 8hrs a day carrying nothing but 2 outfits in my pack, headlamp, a canteen of water, my journal, extra sandals, hiking boots, and my walking stick, I now understand just a little more clearer that He truly is all I need. Just as He has carried me through this Camino, He will lead me through life after this journey because He is and forever always Enough.


¨Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us. It isn´t the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today. So stop pàcing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice-cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough.¨

:: Essay by Robert J Hastings

1 comment:

  1. A lovely post, Rebecca. The station will indeed arrive all too soon enough. Thanks for reminding us to live large now.

    ReplyDelete

Lately.