25 July 2013

Each Day

It's true that I am most inspired by early mornings... So when I awake around 5:30am to set out for another day through the Meseta, I begin to recount the  moments of beauty I hope to never forget.

(And then later, when I'm not so inspired, I return to this list...)


The brightness of the moon shining over the path greeting hazy-eyed pilgrims who search for yellow arrows to follow on the day's course


The  hushed chatter of strangers becoming friends in their own language amidst the overhang of trees and silent path before them


The first sign of a steeple indicating the next village as it slowly appears in the distance over the hill. Upon spotting it, thoughts begin to brim with the hope of a cafe, bocadillo, or jamon for hungry & tired pilgrims


The rhythm of my stick and the crunch of the ground as I walk solo


The music of birds outside my window as a cool breeze floats in during a hard-earned siesta


The long pilgrim afternoons bringing Camino walkers together in the courtyard of an albergue as we share the day's thoughts over San Miguels, vino tinto, and games of poker


Exploring Spanish towns, fiesta-ing, talking to locals, running into recognized peregrinos on the streets as if you live there


The relief and exhaustion that comes when you take off your boots, topple onto your bunk, and slowly move towards a cold shower


The sweat and the pain and the kilometers unending


The landscape of vineyards and mountains against hues of red & purple in the morning sky. Pops of blue and purple flowers like a blanket across the earth 


Tired pilgrims awaking to alarms as they shuffle with headlamps to pack it all up again, to walk again, to desayuno again, to head straight on to Santiago again and again and again...


2 comments:

  1. Buen camino!!! You're doing great! Love these updates...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks so beautiful! Ok, I'll admit it, I'M JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete

Lately.