13 August 2013

On Returning.

After reaching the peak of the Pyrenees that first day of the Camino, I picked up a stone with the intention of carrying it the whole way and dropping it at the cathedral in Santiago. Over and over again I found myself in sacred moments of walking as I clutched this stone in hand, praying for God´s provision, His comfort, His voice, and His love. But upon arrival to Santiago, my spiritual moment fell by the wayside with the adrenaline momentum of Finishing. I figured I would toss my rock into the sea of Finisterre after the next 3 day walk to the epic Pilgrim Lighthouse. It was only today, after discarding leftover shampoo and toothpaste, that I uncovered the stone tucked away at the bottom of my pack. I felt nothing but sheer disappointment in carelessly losing my long-awaited surrender... but then I realized perhaps there´s a reason I still carry the stone.

With the respected siestas, midnight dinners, 1 euro vino tintos, and Spanish spoken all around me these past two days, I have been able to slightly maintain the flavor of the Camino even while removed from it. But today I feel the impending weight of re-entering Life After The Camino as I head home tomorrow. Although I couldn´t always directly point to what the experience has meant to me these past few weeks... I know that the mirror of who I am now and how the Camino has changed me can only be reflected upon the Return.


And so, I carry this stone with me back to Chicago... as the true Camino of life starts when I return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.