22 January 2013

Zero Degrees.

I guess it's that time again... the time of year that even Chicagoans dread. The season that foreigners talk about as "I would live in Chicago except for..." So here we are. It's negative temps and is it any surprise? It.is.cold.
Out my frosty window.
It's not like I haven't been prepared for this in the past. I'm all set in my layers and ready to duke it out. Today I was saved from the duties of Recess (thank you Report Card day / No School)... But tomorrow - it's Me vs. Winter.

The truth is, as much as the cold is cold... I have disciplined an appreciation for this season. If Chicago was always sunny, would I ever enjoy tea? Would I ever slow down? Would I ever even work?! If it's going to be cold, I guess the only way to live is embracing it. Suffering makes you stronger. (That's what I tell myself.)

So, tomorrow under my 2 sweaters, underarmour, fur vest, puffer coat, and scarf... I'll take an extra dosage of Vitamin D and attempt a scarfed smile or two. It will be - as Ashley called out this morning - "A 2-pants kind of day."

Because otherwise, it's going to be a loooong winter.
The only way to fight the cold is gearing up.
Alright. Let's do this.

2 comments:

  1. Good sentence: It.is.cold. Strong word choice: disciplined. Eternal mystery: suffering.

    Another lovely post.

    Love. Lovely.

    Love. (Never mind me--I have my winter traditions, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I love the phrase it's a "2 pants kind of day"

    ReplyDelete

Lately.