11 January 2013

Catching My Breath

After one of the best weekends of 2012, last Tuesday I found myself in a lonely Gatsby apartment with remnants of new years confetti and a few half-filled bottles of wine.

on the road... filter created through the lens of my sunglasses.
It felt like only moments after a quick apartment scrub down that I was on the road with my two brothers headed west to the mountains of Colorado. Although I caught up on some much needed z's on the first few sunrise hours of our drive, the rest of the road trip was a series of 5-in-5-seconds games, hydration preparation, cheese balls tournaments, and flat fixing. (My brothers taught me a lot about prepping my car for winter... Oops.) 

through the cornfields of the Midwest...
Sometimes a flat tire gets frozen on a car. Noted: Kicking it off works.
14 hours later, we arrived to Denver eager to explore the world Mikey has been living in - his house, roommates, girlfriend, mountains - even our family-owned car "LC" was comfortably parked on the curbside, reminding us of its new ownership of our youngest bro. After picking Michael's girlfriend Jillian up, we followed a rather precarious homemade map up to our condo (booked by google search: condo near Copper). 

ski lift sights.
#skisteins
The next few days, we layered up, fought the negative temps, and found ourself gliding down some blues with sandwiches and whiskey in our pocket. Mornings were spent at the table over brunch & freshly blended coffee, while nights were filled with chili in the slow cooker, games of cards, table topics, hot tubbing, and just being together. 

Mornings of euchre and coffee.
cozy cabin eves.
On Sunday night, Daniel and I arrived back to Chicago just in time to climb in bed and get back to the grind on Monday. The gold wallpaper is still hung, crystal on display, and photobooth in tact reminding us that NYE was not just a blurry dream. But life is springing forward in 2013 and this week has left me exhausted and longing to return to those cozy Christmas evenings. I guess there's always more time to catch my breath... and after battling the reality of returning to school, the weekend is finally here.

Siiiiigh.

The mark of a brilliant photographer:
crossing highways risking your life for a perfect mountain shot.
Wash Park exploration in Denver. 
Last night on the town : My Brother's Bar in Denver.
< Careful, that one mile high city will get ya! >
Golden Hour with my little Coloradoan brother.

2 comments:

  1. all thoughts of blogging the trip went out the window when I read this. It's perfect. Well done sis, with pics and writing. Please write a book soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha - thanks mikey! you are my encourager. it's easy to post when you have great inspiration :)

      Delete

Lately.