12 January 2013

Jumping In

When I reflect with honesty on 2012, I see a year of little change and a lot of stability. It was a safe year coasting through with ease and comfort. Starting the year in teaching Kinder, Spring Break back in my second home of Texas, staying in Chicago for the summer, then starting another year at the same school and grade level. Sure, I adventured around the country a bit and had moments of freedom & change within this city... But few circumstances brought challenges or obstacles or difficulty or risk.


So, when I think about 2013 - I crave the spirit of life that puts you over the edge. I yearn for growth and desire to willingly drive myself out of the comfort zone for the sake of curiosity and learning. Sometimes it simply takes an appetite for growth, a hunger for a life lived differently than what I know to push myself beyond what I know possible. Moving into more of my "later 20's," I know there is value in investing & planting roots, but I also realize that comfort is not this season. This applies across the board... friendships, dating, spiritual life, teaching, my summer off, roommates... Putting myself in the position to learn from doing things differently breeds a surge of new challenge, motivation, & excitement towards life.



This morning, our new year's dreams brought Ashley and I to Foster Beach. Bundled in sweatpants over bikinis, we numbed our bodies with the tides of Lake Michigan in January. Who knows what tomorrow will bring in this new year of ours... but for today it brought a lake jump. And that is enough.

Here's to a new year filled with hopes of new endeavors... 2013 is a going to be a good one.

1 comment:

Lately.