29 April 2012

Waco Ties

My two most important reasons for ever returning to Waco are leaving Waco... and as much as it ends an era for them, it seems to be ending an era for me, as well. 

Reason #1: Mikey
Visiting. Spring Break 2012. Enjoying all things Baylor.
My little brother Mikey. He is our family's last Baylor bear... and in only three short weeks he will cross the stage with a diploma and is off to the big post-college world. I have loved watching him embrace everything Baylor over the last four years. Going to the same school bonds you in a way nothing else can - proudly sic 'em-ing, laughing at CG couples, scares on the bear trail, protecting the eternal flame (?!), nights ending at scruffs (I mean....), Baylor traditions and lifestyle and Waco quirks is something only a Baylor graduate understands. As much as I love what we share, it has also been fun seeing Mikey make Baylor his own - with lacrosse, fake fratting, youth leading, going abroad to Maastricht, a film digital media major, his frequent hammock life in Cameron Park... and so much more. These four years have both set his feet firm in identity and allowed him to freely run after the movings of his heart. I am honestly so proud of him. 

I love sharing Baylor with Daniel & Michael - each of us creating a unique experience true to our personalities. How special to watch each other step into more of ourselves with Baylor as the connecting factor.

Spring 2010: A family of sic 'ems. Boy am I lucky.


Reason #2: Candis
Summer 2009 : Team Carvey on 1212 Guthrie

From the moment I met Candis my freshman year, she has been dreaming of moving from Waco. As a Waco native, Candis hasn't lived life outside the "greater Waco area" - as they say - for 26 years (get your rockets up!). Over Spring Break, we chatted about the day... the day she would leave. A day that felt unattainable and distant... a prayer that felt unheard. And yet - He is present. Driving me to the Austin airport after our Spring Break Texas travels, everything seemed to fall in place. A job for the hubs, selling their house on 1212 Guthrie... days later they packed up the U-Haul and off they drove. New city, new life. Oh I am so excited for the next Carvey chapter on 1213!

Jumps. Because it's what you do when you see the Alico. 
Who knew a bunch of Chicagoans would call a random pocket of Texas home?! The past four years since graduation have been filled with visits in and out of Waco because there was always a reason to go back. Whether for family Homecomings, weddings, SING - I always look forward to the reminders of how formidable those years were. I am who I am because of that chunk of time to figure it out, make forever friends, be silly and question and explore, and - to be honest - live in a bubble. And now, it's unclear when I'll be back... and something about that feels strange.

Whenever it is, one thing's for sure: family.sailgate.

(... and: here's Mikey's latest film work... what a talent, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.