25 September 2011

Greetings.


One thing I will always carry in my memory from Spain is the natural way they greet one another on the street - strangers, family, friends - it's all the same. I immediately noticed the dichotomy between our cultures... and the value in acknowledging other humans as they pass by.

Lately, I've challenged myself with greeting each person, especially on my morning walks in this cozy neighborhood. It's entertaining to predict reactions to an unexpected "Hello, good morning" - to see how others respond, and let our lives weave together for just a moment. It's easy to see how the people of Chicago can pass by one another every day - their lives given a chance to intersect, and moments either explored or missed. We each have something unique to give one another... do we believe it?!

Today at church our pastor referenced a quote by Elisabeth Elliot: "Wherever you are, be all there." Being all here. Living in contentment. Loving the people I come into contact with each day - whether strangers on the street, in this neighborhood, at work, after work.

It really starts with a hello... so simple. And yet - such a challenge.

1 comment:

Lately.