08 November 2010

Patchwork.



When my generation looks at our parents we see offices and cubicles, we see lack of adventure and too much stability... We equate "work" to scheduled boredom and a life detached from freedom. So we are pushed to take time off; to explore a myriad of career interests; to "not settle"; to pursue our interests and match them in a career where we feel purposeful, in a community where we feel valued. Our "avoiding the 9-5" generation has somehow found a way to live as freelancers & self-employers, unconventional and creative in our approach to what we deem as "work."


Lately - however - I've noticed that in all my work to make this a reality, I've found myself in athousandmillion exhausting&draining (albeit interesting&career-oriented) jobs.


Is it possible that in all my effort to create some semblance of work schedule via out-of-office jobs, I am actually overworked and underpaid? Endless tasks and to-do lists accompany my day, addictions to GPS and email ensue, a constant flux of phone calls are received at any hour. I almost see a sliver of hope in the 9-5, thinking: that must be nice - to know your work is left at the office, no pressing Urgent Replys to be answered that night...


There exists an overcompensation - a reactive nature - reflected in my approach to work. Afraid to end up miserable in a marked career path, I've gone the opposite extreme, throwing myself into a range of multi-tasked jobs with pieced-together hours. This only serves to mask a deeper desire for more balance.


Hmmmm.


Though I like to think I've got it all figured out, perhaps there's an aspect to value from our parents' regular work schedule. 


But when is all is said&done, I've chosen this pace of living and I like exploring the options. Feeling accomplished on the days it works out makes it worth it. After all, I am learning more and more about what I love and how to make it a lifestyle. I am faced with the truth that the focus is, and always should be Identity. Character. Who am I becoming, what do I want... and using discernment in the process. My career does not define me. Jesus does. Amen.


{image: here}

7 comments:

  1. Well written friend. I see so much of this struggle in myself and other twenty somethings on the same path- but I rest in the fact that I am not alone. You are a great writer btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i absolutely appreciate this post :) well put new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you write, "When my generation looks at our parents we see offices and cubicles, we see lack of adventure and too much stability... We equate "work" to scheduled boredom and a life detached from freedom. So we are pushed to take time off; to explore a myriad of career interests; to "not settle"; to pursue our interests and match them in a career where we feel purposeful, in a community where we feel valued," you are writing something many of us in your parents' generation might have written WORD FOR WORD. Many of us felt the same way. You can look it up. :)

    I'm guessing that resitance to our parents' lifestyles is timeless. I could look that up, if I weren't busy grinding my work schedule towards retirement.

    Life is a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Mark-

    Good point. History does seem to repeat itself. However, what's distinct in my generation is the "rise of technology"... it gives a bit of a different twist on "work." Though your generation (/my parents' generation) rebounded from the cubicle-office-lifestyle in their own way, I think ours has taken it giant leaps farther solely because of the internet. People's virtual businesses and wifi-work-patterns have mobilized and connected humanity in such a way that exists solely on a screen. Freelancer's language is URL and HTML. Someone can be widely successful without a single face-to-face contact. Right now, 3 of my jobs are entirely online... providing an even greater gap between my view of "work" and yours. Perhaps a spin of laziness combined with lack of patience, as well ;)

    At least we will all willingly admit that life is indeed a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well put sis! you are an awesome writer and I'm proud to call you my sister because you rock. Such is life, just like politics, it ends up falling far left and everybody realizes it might be better to the right, then it goes way right and people think it might be better left.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca,

    Wow, we need coffee time! I want to hear about your online jobs and your thoughts and theories about work, the Internet, our brave new world. You are UNIQUELY set to help me understand this stuff because you are a reader and we have such strong common roots, and I think you sort of "get me," among other reasons. Come to Green Bay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very true. I hope we can connect over Thanksgiving Break!

    ReplyDelete

Lately.