11 November 2010

Mailmen.


I wonder what it would be like…
Knowing you hold either a bit of joy, hope, light…
Or carry a dreaded document, heartbreaking news.
Something life-changing. Something standard.
Being the deliverer of letters and parcels you may never see received.
I wonder what it would feel like to hold a sliver of people’s lives.
Interests revealed. Dreams tucked amidst stacks of paper.
You wouldn’t quite know what it is you carry.
Packages. Invitations. Letters from afar.
Or see it play out in that person’s life.
Because mail is mysterious in that way.
And identifying.
The “paperless” life can’t replace handwriting.
Mail is real.
I want to unravel bundles of life letters,
look back. and remember.
And I am comforted knowing that perhaps the one who delivers it
feels a bit of connection with me, too.

2 comments:

Lately.