20 August 2019

Weekend Getaway: Laguna

In most ways, Ben and I pride ourselves in being Minimalists.

We like uncrowded corners, the Essentials Only, and the things we have are the things we regularly use. Ben is, of course, better at it than I am. I thought I was completely organized until we met and I saw his pantry. We both appreciate this way of life and compliment each other in this way.

However, I realized this weekend that we are also Maximalists.

While not necessarily in the lifestyle/home way - in the moments type of way. Putting Jack to sleep in a shared hotel room is no easy task. While I sat outside listening to him scream, pacing the hallway with the monitor, wondering if everyone hated us, Ben walked five blocks to the grocery store to pick-up sea salt dark chocolate + wine so that we could enjoy our after-bedtime time by the pool with optimistic hopes of sleep for our Jack. While on the way back from a day packed with a surf, run, on-the-go naps (Jack literally fell asleep in Ben's arms as we walked to breakfast!), pool, and packing up, we had a window of time before dinner. Ben suggested we stop by the Safari Park and I'm so glad he did. Even though Jack's hat mysteriously got lost within the first five minutes of walking through the entrance (not sure how he managed to throw it so far?!) we had the park to ourselves. The lions looked right at us and the gorillas made us laugh. It took a bit of standing under the water misters in the 88 degree temps combined with Raffi on youtube for Jack to make it through - but we powered up and did it. And even when we're tired or Jack doesn't nap or we only have a little bit of time, what I continually realize is that it's ALWAYS worth it. These memories and times together as a little family of three are so sacred. I recognize it won't always be this way and I want to be present to it all - in the busyness, sleep deprivation, baby-luggage chaos, being together is the whole purpose.

Jack asleep in Ben's arms on the walk to breakfast
Our little fam!
Always an early morning in a shared hotel room! Surf/Run to start the day
My surfer man
Jack loves the pool and so does Ben
Anything cuter than a pool babe?!
Love starting family traditions with these guys
Photo from our room balcony. And Jack's little face... Can't get enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.