16 June 2013

Running the Race

If you had told me a few years ago that I would be training and running my second half-marathon this year, I never would've believed it. In college, I could barely run around Baylor's Bear Trail of 2.3 miles, I avoided running alongside people, and I had zero interest in racing.

Arrival to Milwaukee on Friday
But there's something about a race that brings new attention to the process. Approaching the starting line, there's nothing more you can do to prepare for the race than what you've already done. What you bring that day matters, but it's the past three months that predict your ability for the next 13.1 miles.

Boom.
Running in Milwaukee yesterday reminded me that the path is marked out for you, but you still have the option how to go about it. My rising competitive drive midway through the race pumped adrenaline into my legs, causing me to speed up and meet my goal of 9:30/mile. Next time, I might just have to do a full...!
Compression socks... apparently the secret to preventing shin splints?? Who knew!

2 comments:

  1. "the path is marked out for you, but you still have the option how to go about it" - unbelievably profound statement there Rebecca. Way to go! So proud of you. And yes, all my lax players have compression socks haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to both you and little Kerstyboo! I'm still holding firm to your collegiate mindset of barely running 2.3 miles. I could get convinced to do a half triathlon some time though.

    Compression socks are key to all sports and airplane rides!

    ReplyDelete

Lately.