21 June 2013

Mountaintops



Driving in our family car... Good ol LC
Although I hate that Mikey lives so far away, I am thankful that the faraway place he resides is an awesome one.

headlamp on. ready for anything.
Home for the night.
< Photo cred: Michael >

This week, we backpacked and camped in the mountainous back country of Colorado, as Mikey led me to conquer my first 14,000 (eh hem... 14,060) foot mountain. We hiked in with our packs, set-up camp on a flat spot, and explored the grounds. After carelessly toppling into a non-aggressive creek on our preliminary hike, I was a bit wary of the next day's mountain before us. But, as we watched the sun go down behind Mt. Bierstadt to the dreamy tunes of the Oh Hello's, filling our stomachs with Trail Mix and playing endless rounds of gin rummy... I knew there was no other place I would rather be than right there in the valley of snowcapped beauty. Somehow that peak in the distance began to feel attainable... but not without some hard work to get there.

The only thing that got me up Bierstadt : morning French Press
We set out on the climb after back country breakfast (oatmeal & French press coffee), filled our bottles with creek water and purifying drops, and set out on the road before us. There were a thousand moments I wanted to give up as we inclined the final 2,000 feet above tree level - my mind wrestled with my physical ability, telling it to stop; it screamed at my aching legs and told it No - but I focused one step at a time, and eventually the peak was in view. As we summited Bierstadt, every hard-breathing, soul-tiring, back-aching step floated away into the panoramic scene set before my eyes: true and utter breathtaking beauty. 

Never underestimate a 14er... It was seriously hard work. But worth it? Absolutely. I got down from the mountain convinced I would never do such a thing again... and then after some pizza and beer, I reconsidered. 2014...? (we'll see.)

We did it!
< Photo cred: Michael >
I am reminded that although adventure is not contingent upon these mountaintop experiences, these also fuel my appetite for risk and increase my courage. The physical has to translate to the mental... giving up, stressing out, feeling overwhelmed is not an option because eventually you arrive, and the accomplishment defeats even the most painful process. The challenge of completing something set before me that seems ridiculously unattainable can be an addicting feeling. Which is why I can't stop here. In a few weeks, I will leave for my heart country of Spain with nothing but a change of clothes and hiking shoes with a bit of trepidation mixed with anxious excitement. And as I walk the 12+ miles daily on the Camino, I will be taken back to this moment in the mountains with Mikey. When I'm at wit's end and physically cannot see the goal, I will remember that nothing meaningful comes easy. I will remember His faithfulness and protection. I will remember that the process feels slow, but that it's worth it. I will remember that it is possible one.step.at.a.time.

4 comments:

  1. Dang. This is so much better than I will do with my blog post haha. The writing is always superb. What a memory! Thanks for coming out Rebecca and sharing in such an awesome adventure.

    Also...how amazing of me to high five you and take a picture of us at the same time. Probably why I'm falling over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha maybe I should change that to "camera cred"!

      I love our adventures!!!! Can't wait to see you next week :)

      Delete

Lately.