04 March 2013

Child Honesty

We have had 115 days of school, and sometimes I look at my class and wonder just how much they have learned. I know there is always more I could be doing to spark their curiosity & creativity. I struggle with creating the most engaging lessons and hands-on, natural materials, child-centered environment. To be honest - most of the time, I have no idea what they are taking home with them to their parents and if they are truly prepared for the next grade level at the end of the year. 

And with the winter blues and the reliance on green tea and lack of sun, I start to wonder - am I really even good at this?!


As I was reading with a group of children the other day, another child in the class approached me asking for a band-aid. I put aside the slight frustration from the interruption and I did what I always do with Kindergarteners - take every scrape, cut, or bruise very seriously. I got him a band-aid, told him he was okay, gave him a hug, and prayed for him. As I went about this protocol, trying to give full attention to both the injured child and the other few reading, I noticed one of the readers had looked up from her book and was just staring at me. As I turned back to the group, she said: "Miss Goldstein, you're a really good teacher." I froze. (Regardless if it's actually true or not coming from a 5 year old is irrelevant...) In this moment I realized it's okay. This child didn't say that because I've provided the best color-coded lesson plans and advanced technology with top-of-the-line materials... she knew that her classmate was cared for in a time when he needed me, and for her, that was enough.

The children aren't prepared for life because of academics and awesome lessons, they don't walk away loving school because of all the interesting topics they've learned and facts they remember... they are ready for the next step when they know they are loved. 

And that is the most important thing I can give as a teacher.

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing at what you do. I had this exact thought recently as a youth worker. I can hardly remember any lessons or discussions from youth group, but I remember the retreats, the fun, and the times I felt loved and cared for. It helps me put in perspective what I'm really here to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Goldstein you ARE a really good teacher!! I love this post! It reminds me that it's the little things that can make a BIG difference in someones life and it's those small gestures of everyday kindness that make others feel loved and cared for. You do that so well and those precious kiddos are so lucky to have you as their teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think that's pretty much what the kids remember, or any of us, and not always, or maybe even ever, consciously, but in our bodies, in how much courage we have for life: whether or not we were loved, felt loved, felt safe, whether or not someone listened to us and let us know in some way that we had been heard and understood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. am i a crying mess at my desk thinking about how radical you are as a lover of people/children? .....maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Lately.