24 November 2011

Kindergarten Thanksgiving

There's nothing like embracing the season when you're celebrating alongside five year olds. As they hear these stories of our country for the first time, I am reminded of the purpose of Thanksgiving... A group of men and women in search of religious freedom, and their plight to the New World. A feast to honor God and thank Him for all the ways He provided for them with the harvest. In many ways, our country was built by these people - we have the freedom of religion and worship here because they took the first steps.
placemats for the feast.
How easy it is to forget the true story that is the heart of what we celebrate.
paper mache turkeys... oh my. quite a fun mess.
It's not just the hand turkeys, Pilgrim costumes, pasta necklaces, rhymes and games... part of why I love teaching so much is because for me the season comes alive through the story. I know this Thanksgiving it certainly did... and I am so so thankful. 
storyacting at our Feast.
Sometimes it takes a Kindergarten perspective to truly know a story for what it is.

2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty strong sentence by Gabriel. If all your kinders write sentences that well, you should be on TV or something.

    Missed you for Thanksgiving. :(

    See you during the Christmas week, I hope!

    (And I still want to spend some time in your classroom!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - he copied the "I am thankful for..." from the board. But thought of friends and family all on his own! 5 year olds are inspiring - right?!

    ReplyDelete

Lately.