14 February 2018

The Things I Miss


The things that I miss are
quite vain and partly selfish.
Sometimes I shame myself for not being more excited
to give up these things, for the other.
I miss the feeling of being completely myself
Control (a false sense, of course).
High-waisted jeans; feeling moderately sexy.
I miss the sense of knowing what tomorrow will bring
before it comes.
The feeling that life will continue on like this
and that I could live in this part of it forever.
If I wasn’t pregnant, there would be other things I would miss…
The daily learnings of life that force
a deepened sense of identity.
Feeling like a woman; empowered day-by-day.
A new sense of maturity and a new season.
Stepping into a part of me I don't yet know.
So perhaps I wouldn’t give up the things I miss for what I have
But I’m still allowed to gaze jealously
at all the girls in bikinis and crop tops
free-flowing in the wind without a care in the world.
Right?!


1 comment:

Lately.