26 February 2018

Anniversary in MX


With the sun, sea, tacos, surfing, margaritas, slow pace, and Spanish, it is no surprise that I often refer to Mexico as “Our Happy Place.” President’s Day weekend 2016, Ben wooed me with the love of Mexico Life, staying up too late with street tacos and Monopoly Deal and champagne and hot tubbing, and a glimpse into the adventure of life with Benjamin beside me. The weekend was so significant in establishing who we could be together as “Ben and Rebecca,” and I will never forget the ache in my heart when he dropped me off and drove back to his home. That weekend was the springboard into an unfolding love story which brought us to President’s Day a year later when we promised our lives to one another before our closest family and friends. In the pitter patter of rain in a garden, the muddiest dance party you were ever a part of, and the glow of a tent filled with the love of others, February 18, 2017 is easily the best day of my life. This President’s Day 2018, we returned to Mexico – the focal point of the beginning of Us.

On the list of memories I never want to forget is pina coladas by the pool, Ben winning runner-up in a ping-pong tournament, live music and mezcal under stars, rooftop sunset cocktails, roadtrips to Mexican radio, sleeping-in to the sound of the waves, waking up to a new diamond band on our anniversary, re-reciting our vows, cuddling in bed as we watched our wedding vids, revisiting and laughing through the events from the day – and of course, tacos, tacos, tacos. We come alive together in this country that never seems foreign. We love enjoying life together at a pace determined by the rise and fall of the sun, immersed in the beauty of the land God created.

More than anything, I will remember how sweet this season is as we cherish where we have been on the journey towards where we are going. So often, I want to hold onto What Was because I fear the unknown of What Will Be. Feeling kicks from our growing baby brings anticipation to all that lies ahead in our lifetime together as husband and wife. We know it will not be easy, but we also know that through the fire we are refined. 

Here's to many, many more!


2 comments:

  1. You’re amazing. We should rename Presidents’ Day weekend I think. The best 2+ years with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should!!! The best years of my life. I love you with all my heart!

      Delete

Lately.