29 June 2015

Things to be Learned

Morning hours had dawned, fresh with the aroma of coffee and familiar scent of library books idling on the wooden back of my vintage Schwinn. Perusing the library with intentional convention, I migrated between opportunities for window sitting and happened upon the most ideal spot. The light, the green, the street... perfection. As I moved towards it, I hesitantly turned away when I realized it was neighbors to a puzzle, one that invited people [read: strangers], soliciting an offer for others to be in quest of colored pieces fitting into jagged corners... the mixing and matching of lines and space is a world from which I remain far-removed. Unlike my family, I am ambivalent towards puzzles, lacking the patience or perhaps the process it takes to sit before an unseen picture; tactile motion descending into larger and useless decor.

I moved closer and words became legible: "Help complete the puzzle. Add a piece or two and watch it come together."

A lesson for the puzzlers is a lesson for the thesis. Bit by bit, step by step, little by little. It seems so large, so impossible - but yet again, the signage called me back - "add a piece or two and watch it come together..." a piece here and a piece there... the larger picture comes into focus.

Perhaps this is exactly where I am supposed to sit.

Gratitude: for lessons in unexpected places, for moments in which God speaks, for his grace that provides the will to move forward in courage.


5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're making progress, even if it's piece by piece, on your thesis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how's the "puzzle" coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uncle Mark! Thanks for checking in! :) It is coming along... the job search + interviews have overtaken me at the moment! It will get done eventually - just seems like now might not be that time!

      Delete
  3. How come my posts seem to disappear? This isn't exactly complicated software, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, good luck with those. I've always said the worst part of working is looking for a job. And I didn't mean anything more by technology comment than I was figuring I was doing something wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Lately.