17 September 2014

"Our world is hungry for genuinely changed people. Leo Tolstoy observes, "Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself." Let us be among those who believe that the inner transformation of our lives is a goal worthy of our best effort." 

// Richard Foster, Celebration of Discipline, 11

// Samos, Spain
Camino de Santiago // August 2014
As graduate school picks up and the to-do list starts to impede, I have to remind myself of priorities.

Transformation is not something you can check off or accomplish. It is the lifestyle of surrendering to God and allowing Him to do the work. It requires patience. Discipline. A hungry heart. So often I forget... I want to achieve and conquer and be successful, but the daily surrender to God is the true life to my soul.

His love is not to be strived for or earned. It's a free gift, worthy of my life.

2 comments:

  1. I love that Richard Foster quote. I've wondered about and debated with myself the truth of that statement for many years, that our inner work matters and it may be "enough." We all don't have to be social or political activists, Gandhis or Mother Theresas (not that they didn't do their inner work, too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. So good. So true.

    ReplyDelete

Lately.