17 December 2013

The Few Great Things

"You don't have to know a lot of things for your life to make a lasting difference in the world. But you do have to know the few great things that matter, perhaps just one, and then be willing to live for them and die for them. The people that make a durable difference in the world are not the people who have mastered many things, but who have been mastered by one great thing."

:: John Piper, Don't Waste Your Life

Lily Home.
In only a few short days I will be finished with my first semester of graduate school. And though I'm in the wake of finals, confronted with the pressure of reviewing material and feeling the never-ending strain of papers to be written, I am thankful. While it seems that one goes to graduate school to attain knowledge for cognitive growth, here at Wheaton College I find it to be more than a degree that leads to a career; more than a means to an end. This season is dedicated to formation, not destination. It is here that I am learning to submit my life to costly grace, to articulate my theological views, to wholeheartedly pursue my passion, to see the Image of God in all people, to let my philosophy of ministry guide my life, to live and die for He who is bigger than myself. It is acquiring knowledge of Him that transforms my love for Him; it is holistic growth that encapsulates all that I am and all I want to be. He called me here to see more of Him, to learn what I am created for, to rest, to let that which I know and speak be that which I live. Not to know many things, but to let my life be mastered by the One Great Thing.

Christ: the Light of the World, the baby we celebrate this season who is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Christ who came to earth to be our Savior, to point us to the Father, to proclaim the grace, joy, and peace for all nations.

Rush & Wheaton. Grad life is better when done together.
Even now, as I hunker down in the library covered by books, a research paper only 1/8 finished, and the frenzy that comes with running off to my first final, I am in awe of God. He brought me here to give me this gift. The gift of seeing Him more clearly in Scripture, be mentored by professors, and to mold me in compassion and love for his people. 

This is His work. How privileged I am to join Him here.

Snowy days, alley days. Finals, I'm comin for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.