23 November 2013

These Two.

In a few short days, we will gather around the table to hold hands, consume mass amounts of turkey, and give thanks to God in the company of family. Yet it is not encapsulated within this specific moment that deep thankfulness come into fruition, rather in the anticipation of what's to come do I recognize real gratitude. 

In the thought of these coming days, a joy fills my spirit that marks the beginning of a season of holiday. From now until the end of the year, the wave of the Holiday Season sweeps through our lives, overcoming us with shared meals, cookie exchanges, gift purchases, fancy soirees, and a return to the familiar melodies from holidays past.

Brother 1.
Brother 2.
Knowing that I can look forward to holidays with a sense of expectation instead of dread brings thankfulness in itself. I am thankful that I want to go home, I am thankful I have a family to be with, I am thankful for the laughter and togetherness felt when I spend time with my brothers.

My Baylor sibsteins. These two guys. They are my best friends. The holidays are marked by being together with them… a gift I know won't last forever as life takes its turns through marriages, travels, or otherwise. But for now, the joy that comes from thoughts of driving back to Deerfield on Wednesday, a night of family, pizza, and games, followed by a Turkey Trot on Thursday morning and cooking pumpkin pie in the kitchen with Mom brings a smile I can't resist.

Or perhaps better stated in the words of my dear Papa: "Family, family, family. The rest is bullshit." 

1 comment:

Lately.