17 November 2012

This Year



When people find out I'm a teacher, I'm often met with the questions: How has your year been? How are the kids?


While last year I would've responded that I love it, it's great, my class is sweet... It's only in hindsight that I can acknowledge in honesty how difficult last year really was for me. As a first year Kindergarten teacher, I was just beginning to learn the in's and out's... the tricks of the trade... the stuff that I jealously look to in teachers that have taught for 15+ years and wonder why I can't be more like them.


I now realize - in my wiser year 2 - that it's only with trial-and-error that you survive the first few years of teaching and hone the craft. Like anything else, it takes time to develop "the best ways of doing things" and giving yourself some grace to go about the motions as you grow as a professional.


This year has brought its load of challenges, but in it I am able to see the beauty with my class of eighteen wonderful little souls. They adore school, they love God, and they respect the boundaries I have established. What a blessing this year has been - doing Kindergarten for Round Two WITH an assistant is helpful, too. 

... and of course, Miss Goldstein in gear on the playground. This is teacher life.

1 comment:

Lately.