01 November 2012

Refocusing.

I have always loved new ideas motivating me to integrate lifestyle changes. Whether it's a race or cleanse, long-distance hike or tackling a new city, different language or hobby... I tend to get antsy if there isn't something I am working towards or wanting to challenge myself with achieving. (Hello first-born... guilty.)

So when I first heard the chatter about the Daniel Fast I was initially drawn to it as another new thing to explore and accomplish. I set out for its proposed length of 21 days... and on Day 7 I gave into a homemade dark chocolate chip oatmeal cookie (but really, how do you resist?!) and it was all downhill from there. In my feat of failure, I decided the only thing to do was read and do more research regarding this fast.

While there are so many important reasons for fasting, perhaps the one that resonates most personally with me is coming to the end of my own ability to control myself and my world, and letting God do the work. And of course - the ongoing reminder that HE is enough. I didn't make it the full length of time because self-reliance is not what it takes. I am never expected to accomplish and achieve and conquer alone... although so often I resort to self-determination and independence. I need the strength of the Holy Spirit to build me into who I want to be... I need Him to work in my heart to give me the joy, peace, patience, and self-control I try so hard to exert. That's the thing - it's never about us trying because we'll fail every time. It's about allowing God to refine me, and seeking His grace when I just simply can't.

So, here goes Round 2. And today is Day One. I have A LOT to learn. But this time I am seeking after something different - I want to root my soul deeply in Him. Like Daniel, my desire is to have His word stored up in my heart, to focus and become alive in Him, so that I can stand on His Promises in each day to come.

And before the rush of the holidays, I want to be intentional about cultivating a heart of thankfulness. I want to reduce the clutter, simplify the everyday, and believe that where He has me is good.

Thankful for: family. friends. and the kids I spend my days with.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. I feel inspired after reading it. My favorite part: "That's the thing - it's never about us trying because we'll fail every time. It's about allowing God to refine me, and seeking His grace when I just simply can't." You have a beautiful heart Rebies and and it's so very clear as to who consumes it.

    ReplyDelete

Lately.