06 October 2009

Life as a Foreigner.

The longer I am here, the more I accidentally assimilate into this culture. 'Accidental' because I find myself in situations that require more mental energy than I am used to applying... Everything I do, everywhere I go, is a learning experience. Even the most simple daily activities (going to the grocery store, going out for a drink, asking directions, doing laundry... unlocking the door to my flat...?) take more effort! (As reinforced by my roommates when I threw my laundry out to dry in one big pile b/c I didn't want it to fly away... only to find out later about the purposes for clothespins.... 8 floors up... oops.) So, I am slowly adapting to life here, and finding that it is so much more enjoyable than the hustle/bustle of the states. For instance, 8AM is considered "waking up at the crack of dawn," and eating dinner before 9PM is a really early night. They take their siestas here very seriously - and everything closes down from 1-4. The boardwalk along the oceanfront is later filled with people doing a "paseo" - a walk with their family and friends. At around 5 or 6PM they will stop at a nearby cafe for a drink and "meriendas" (snacks). I am convinced the Spanish have discovered how to live. And it is perfect.

{Clothes hanging out to dry... A novelty to me, daily life for them.}

Earlier today I went to the Oficina de Extranjeros (Foreign Office), and had to make yet another appointment to process my paperwork. Everything takes longer here - everything. Nobody is in a rush. Tomorrow I head to school for Day 2... My principal picks me up in the morning for a 30 min drive through the mountains, and then I take the bus home at around 1PM. Should be interesting to see what awaits at mi cole maƱana...

My heart is full of thankfulness for my life here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lately.