12 December 2019

Mother

My days get blurred
with wonderings of time with you.
Caught up in naptime frustrations
or whining annoyances,
breakdowns alongside your breakdowns,
and the constant questions.
But the part of my heart
you cracked open
as only a child can do...
That part
is where I feel motherhood
in its magnitude.
Hugging my leg
with repeated "mama, mama,"
open mouth kisses
through the railing at the park steps,
tiny "roar's" escaping your mouth
in awe with the lions at the zoo,
snuggles in the morning
with your arms wrapped around my neck
and your quiet breathing in my ear;
This is where that part of me
that answered to "mother"
for the first time
seventeen months ago
wants to linger as long as possible.
Close my eyes
and hold the moment frozen in time.
I am your Mother.
And amidst the challenge of the everyday,
lies hidden gems of the beauty
that comes with the title
Mother.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, Thank you for writing poems,too. I love both of these. The line in "Mother" about your heart cracked open reminds me of that famous Leonard Cohen line: "There is a crack in everything (there is a crack in everything) / That's how the light gets in[.]" Season's greetings to both of your wonderful Santa's helpers and you.

    ReplyDelete

Lately.