07 November 2017

So Far

As much as life is an adventure and each day there are glimpses of eternity when we have the awareness to be near to it; life also scares me in ways that I can’t fully comprehend and sometimes I feel like I just can’t keep up. I get frozen in the reality of how quickly life passes and I wonder if I am doing all I can to make the most of it.

I fear that time goes too fast – and in so many ways I still feel like that 22-year-old who just graduated college, or the 23-year-old setting off for a year in Spain, or the 24-year-old moving to the city with my very first teaching job, or the 27-year-old trekking off to the Camino, or the 29-year-old driving across the country to California, or the 30-year-old, newly engaged and planning a wedding (Okay, okay… that wasn’t that long ago!). The 20’s are gone, and I’m into the 30’s, but I now get why our parents say they still feel so young.

Benjamin and I have been married about 9 months now and life feels full. After much debate, we finally finished those lingering registry items – the stainless steel pans and our wine glasses with the pressure of Thanksgiving around the corner. We look back at our memories together, and it feels like we have known each other longer than 2 years if measured by the amount of travel we have done and the quality of relationships we have built – not to mention, we are one week out from being completely debt-free! It all seems like it has gone too fast. Life feels a lot less scary with Benjamin beside me, but when I look ahead at our years, it seems like a lifetime is hardly enough. 31 years of it have already flown by in a blink – what’s another 31?! What is the secret to slowing it down? We pull out our phones to capture the sunset or wine on the porch or bike rides on Adams Ave or cheeseboards in the park… but I wonder if this truly forges a sense of presence. It does, however, capture the story of Us and this is my favorite story to write so far.

2 comments:

Lately.