10 March 2015

Right Now

There seems to come a point in every winter when I no longer wash my hair (because hello - hats!), realize I've worn the same pair of leggings for about a week (to work AND sleep), and would rather watch Netflix marathons of Friends then go out to... basically anywhere. Truth be told, on Friday eve it took a lot of convincing to peel ourselves out of our perfectly molded crevices on the couch, turn off our shared and blanketed heater, and brave the melting snow trenches to meet our friends for drinks at Revolution Brewery.

Winter Survival is artisan soups & breads from Chicago chefs - donation based -
promoting community in our neighborhood in the depths of winter
Folk tunes paired with wine was a lovely Sunday eve in celebration of my dad's birthday.
At this point, all concerns are merited... What exactly happens to us Chicagoans in these dreary months?! Whoever argues with the validity of S.A.D, I am here to tell you it is a REAL thing people.

Daylight Savings means sunrise runs on the lake.
< Unfiltered! >
This weekend though - the sun began to shine and a friendly glow broke through the cloudy haze hovering over our city. It is always an indicator that spring is on its way when Southport strolls become a place for hello's to neighbors and cars pause for others with gracious waves allowing for a peaceful merge. Also, I may or may not have gotten a sun tan from a 20-minute phone call with my bro while tilting my face up to the window from the couch inside my apartment. Which is either deeply pathetic or absolutely lovely, depending on your outlook this season.

This weekend, I mapped out my trek across the country from May-June.
I think I'll call it Rebecca's Driving Tour of Married Friends.
;)
Yesterday was 38 degrees and I went running in shorts and this weekend is supposed to be 50's, which means we are basically planning for a Beach Day. In all other parts of the world, it seems that Weather is the mundane topic you talk about when there's nothing else to say, but here in The City of Six Months of Winter, weather.is.everything. When the sun starts to shine and the birds begin to sing, somehow life seems that much more manageable. It's no longer a hustle and a pep talk of "I can do this" as your bare feet hit the cold floor in the dark of the morning, rather it's ditching the puffer coat for a vest and celebrating the sun at 6:30pm indicating a full evening ahead.

I spent last Friday exploring with this dear friend of mine, Lindsay.
Linds and her husband Dave are involved in the most incredible ministry on the South Side.
I hold this time sacred; my thesis is on pause for Life After Comps, my daydreams drift to windows down and music blaring on a summer drive across the country, and I am mid-contract-signing for a dream offer with Mosaic in the fall. In this season of Winter on the Cusp of Spring, it seems everyone lives in the feeling of anticipation. And I like that feeling... I like knowing there are surprises to come and something great around the corner. I enjoy the gentle rhythm that coaxes my hibernating soul; there is a time for Netflix Binges and a time for Beach BBQ's, there is a time for cubicle studying and a time for marathon training, there is a time for Bachelor Watch Parties and a time for Music Mondays, there is a time for solitude and a time for community... All things happen in the push & pull of sun and clouds, snow and rain, wine and margaritas;) As we await Easter, it is essentially this anticipation of All Things New in spring that teaches us of the Death and Resurrection... that shows us to mourn for His death and to celebrate His life. The movements of the world and all of creation point us to Him, our Creator King.

Yes, those are two cop cars parked outside the Lily.
Just in case you're wondering if the Crazy Pam situation is still on the loose...
 Here's evidence. 

3 comments:

  1. There's so much here, dear niece, that's lovely and charming. Your driving tour, for example. I followed your link to the Mosaic School of Creative Education. That sounds like a lovely place to spend some time (hint, hint). Look up Adler and his paideia proposal. You'll find some similarities, especially in the emphasis on Socratic methods. Sometimes I wish I was you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...because hello hats" is my favorite additive ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also. oh my god. i just miss all of this. i could barely read it because of the longing. i long for this. i didnt even realize.

    ReplyDelete

Lately.