09 October 2013

Midwest At Heart

As if we have never driven across the cornfields of windmills here in the Midwest, Ash and I eagerly hopped in the car on Saturday with playlists, snacks, and GPS destination: Dayton, OH. While I dream of the west coast or islands of Spain, it is here in the heart of America - the dear Midwest - that I sense a beckoning feeling of graceful Return. After stopping at a classic diner for grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup, Ash and I knew this weekend would be branded with everything characteristic of our home in the Midwest.
City escape.
Diner stop.
With its flag-adorned front porches, high school letter jackets, and neighborly hello's from fellow-dog-walkers, Dayton is truly Americana suburbia at its finest. And there is a comforting err of nostalgia that comes with the slowed pace watched from the swing of a home. Exploring coffee shops tucked away from the rain with a mug of coffee and my best friends is a beautiful way to spend a weekend.


I want this swing.
Rainy walks.
Sampson and I are learning to be friends.
Often when friends visit, the misconception is that there must exist an itinerary of Really Cool Stuff to make the destination as Awesome As Possible. But with Jenny, it is a refreshment, joy, and adventure from merely being together. Whether it's giving Sampson a bath after splashing in mud and a rainy walk, or making dinner and cuddling to a movie, or simply sleeping in and eating cereal in our pajamas, the delight comes from heart talks and laughter and Real Life. It comes in the regular activities of day-to-day as we walk life side-by-side.

I was once told that the mark of deep friendship is someone you simply want to grocery shop with. Jenny's free-spirit, deep love for life and people, and easygoing nature make her one of the best companions, the one I want to grocery shop with (especially at her favorite local market!), and a true gift. The reality of life is that most of it is actually pretty boring; the adventure comes when life is lived alongside someone else.

I mean... the color of this wall!
{ Adventures can also come through margs and city life in Cinci!}
Obviously loving these streets of the Midwest.
 I return thankful for the reminder of transparent and authentic friendship from a weekend escape to the streets of Ohio explored alongside my two best partners in crime.

Love you forever Jenny B!

1 comment:

  1. This weekend blessed my heart and refreshed my soul more than you know!!

    ReplyDelete

Lately.