28 March 2011

Break Time.

It's finally Spring Break... let the adventures commence!  

Friday was my first day off, and I awoke with a heart pressed with an unexplored city and a newfound freedom from schedule and routine.  Breaks are refreshing because just for a slice of time, you get to live the life you dream of while you're at work.  In an effort to bring the mystery of travel in Spain back to Chicago, I hopped on the El without a fixed destination, coffee in hand, new tunes on the pod, and a good read from B.  Mid-ride, I remembered the exhibit at the Chicago Cultural Center featuring the recently uncovered work of Chicago street photog Vivian Maier that I had always hoped to visit... A little gem discovered via my dearheart Suzy. (and her inspiring Viv post...)

With my destination set, a hopeful expectation filled my spirits, and I knew a day of beauty lay ahead.

Everything's better with coffee.
Despite the cold, the city out the windows of the train brought life.
There she is. In all her mystery, she at least left a self-portrait.
Viv's hats on display.
Sun setting over Mill Park.
Dome life in Chi. (cue: Mikey.)
Sometimes I call myself a tourist in my own city.  But I think a more accurate depiction is a life of discovery... even in a place that becomes home.  Chicago has so much to do and see - no matter how long you've lived here.  It's a refreshing approach to life when you view it through the lens of New. If you're open and willing, you will always find surprises.

Tomorrow, I head to the sunshiney shores of Captiva Island with my travel buddy bestie, Kate.  We thought Europe was our last hoorah, but we managed to squeeze in one more before the Big Day (July 9, 2011.)  It seems appropriate to repack the backpack, headscarves, shades, and gear for the ocassion. Even if it is just the US... who's to say I can't pretend?! Never been more ready for quality time & beach life.

"We have to make room for other people.  It's a wheel - you get on, you go to the end, and someone else has the same opportunity to go to the end, and so on, and somebody else takes their place.  There's nothing new under the sun."
- Vivian Maier

2 comments:

  1. that dome da dome dome dome.
    I'm in a dome, I'm in a dome.

    backpacking life beyond europe. love it.

    aaaand now I will cheesily quote the northface catch phrase: "never stop exploring"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    I love your tourist-in-Chicago post. I hope I have the time soon and a willing neice so we can explore sometimes together!

    ReplyDelete

Lately.